From the BlogSubscribe Now

Tax deductions for teachers

It is not unusual to come across teachers who take up burden of purchasing supplies for their class, at their own expense.  This is so because school budgets have been often cut or slimmed down. If by any chance you are a teacher and have done the above, you will be happy to learn that you may be able to deduct some of the purchases you have shouldered in your income tax. In fact, taking out of town seminars, additional classes to add to your education or conventions, may qualify you for tax deductions. And even if you do not itemize these, it is still available for deductions.

An amount of $250 incurred from purchased of book, supplies, and other materials that is used in class can be deducted directly from the teacher’s income on line 23 of the Form 1040. You can once again do this without having to itemize it. If married and your spouse is also a teacher, he/she gets a deduction of  up to $250 of expenses also,bringing this to a total of $500. If expenses you incurred are more than $250 on supplies and you itemize your taxes, any amount over $250 can be included in the miscellaneous deductions.  Only the amount of miscellaneous deductions that are more than 2 percent of your adjusted gross income can be deducted. .

Now in the case of Student Loan Interest, if you are not done with payments for student loan, it will help you to learn that you can deduct up to $2,500 on interest you paid for these loans. If you are married and filing separately, you can avail of it. However you do not have to itemized it in order to take advantage of the deduction because this is subtracted from your adjusted gross income directly.

As for Education Expenses, in the chance that you go back to school for a master’s or a doctorate, or simply to take an additional course to enhance your teaching skills, you will learn that this too may be deducted. Lifetime learning credit or an American opportunity credit of up to $4,000 can be deducted for expenses incurred on tuition, books etc. If married, you must file a joint tax return to be able to take advantage of the deduction.


images from: and